POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : POV-Ray for windoze 3.1e bug(s) : POV-Ray for windoze 3.1e bug(s) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:20:31 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray for windoze 3.1e bug(s)
From: Peter Popov
Date: 27 Jun 1999 02:14:29
Message: <3775ca8c.32616520@204.213.191.228>
I am posting to this group because these are not POV-Ray core bugs but
rather ones of the windoze front-end

1) I am pretty sure this one's a bug. When using the rubberband select
to render a region, POV fails to free the system resource it takes. I
am not talking about program or data memory but about those 2x64 Kb
(thanks, Spider! :) ) that windoze allocates for icons, menus etc.
After about 15-25 renders the system goes really low of resources
(0-5% free). Closing and restarting POV solves the problem.

To replicate this bug try this. Open POV and a scene. Start a render
and stop it (so that the render window shows up). Now right click on
My Computer, select Properties and click on the Performance tab. See
the amount of free resources you have. Close this window now, you'll
open it later, because windoze doesn't update it automatically. Go
back to POV and use the rubberband to select a render region (I
haven't notices if its size matters, but the larger, the better,
methinks) Check the amount of system resources again. On my system
this procedure usually eats away 3-6 % of the resources.

2) I think this one has been mentioned before: when using adaptive
anti-aliasing, the pps indicator shows zero

System:
CPU: AMD K6/233
MB:  Intel Triton TX
RAM: 96 Mb SDRAM
OS : Windows 95 OSR 2.1, Windows 98
POV: Official POV-Ray for Windows v3.1e.watcom.win32.r1 (PII Opt.)

Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700